Friday, June 1, 2007

The New Rich

Timothy had my attention from the get go, but the paragraph that riveted me to the book and forced me to stay up to all hours reading as much as I could til my brain gave up in exhaustion is on Page 7:

Gold is getting old. The New Rich (NR) are those who abandon the
deferred-life plan and create luxury lifestyles in the present using the
currency of the New Rich: time and mobility. This is an art and a science that we refer to as Lifestyle Design.

He succinctly put into three sentences exactly what my husband and I tried and tried to articulate about our dreams. The best we could come up with that we wanted the freedom to be Nomads and have access to houses in all the fun places we could dream of. Once we had a child, though, it became more difficult to keep that vision front and center. It just sounded too hard. Well, it did until we read The 4-Hour Work Week!

Now part of the business coaching that I do is about working smart, not hard. Much of it is inspired by Jennifer White's excellent book Work Less Make More. But even it assumes that you need to work several days a week (Support and Focus Days) and that there is enough work that only I can do that requires my personal time and attention. Don't get me wrong, this concept was extremely liberating and I've used to liberate many many entrepreneurs. But if my whole focus becomes replacing myself while still making money and then using my time to pursue what my heart is about in this world - well that is a horse of a different color.

The last thing that sticks in my head - at least today - is:
The perfect job is the one that takes the least time.
Love that! Somehow as a coach I've let myself believe that I have to "work" and that making a difference in people's lives takes that dreaded word TIME. What I am starting to see is that I can set up my business so that clients can access my expertise in a meaningful way that I don't have to be present for, unless I want to be. And I am no less a coach for setting up my business on this model.

Reality is negotiable.

Sarah





No comments: