Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What I Need To Get Rid Of

This is an overwhelming topic for me. I seem to be loaded down on all sides. Being the child of a child of the depression, getting rid of anything is a challenge. Add to that that 2 years ago I cleaned out my father's house, which was full of junk and some really cool stuff - like carousel horses he made and my mom painted for a Christmas float, plus my husband's mad collection of found objects he can't live without (3 - count them - 3 antique bathtubs sitting in storage) and now, my grandmother's house. Oh and did I mention I am trying to sell 4 quarter horses?! Yikes!

Well, I spent this past weekend at my grandmother's house. You can see my earlier post about how it got in the shape it is in. We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. If it can be salvaged in any way, I am moving it to our storage building. It will either be a useful something in my life - like a huge wardrobe I am having refinished, or it will go to my friend Harriet who just opened an antique store. And I've gotten very objective and unsentimental about what is going where. Except......

the heirlooms category - that is the tricky one. But honestly, what am I to do with the Rising Sun silk flag my father brought home from WWII or the Haviland Gold Band China or the 8 piece place setting of sterling silver that has never been used? I found that treasure in an old wooden trunk under layers of fabric and sheets. These are the things that trip me up.

In two weeks a Pod is showing up in our driveway in Evergreen (did I mention that I have two house in two different towns?) and we will begin dividing up what will go where and what we are getting rid off. I'll keep you posted on how that works out.

Reality Is Negotiable.

Sarah

No comments: